Friday, July 16, 2010

Pictures of Better Times in India


So there are actual bright spots in my trip to India: seeing the Lotus Temple, going to the Qutb Minar complex in Delhi, the train ride to and from Varanasi and my time spent with the Thai Monks of the Chinese Buddhist Temple in Sarnath. The picture is yours truly with the Mausoleum of Iltumish in the Qutb Minar complex in the background.

Want to know how to get pictures taken of yourself when you're on your own? Ask people with cameras of their own to take a picture of you using your own camera. Guaranteed they won't run away with your camera.

When there are pictures of me in them, I don't look great. Really, if you think I'm wrong, you should see the picture on my Nexus pass. Oh my god. It's seriously bad, like Sloth from The Goonies bad. However, this picture isn't that bad. The story behind this picture is that there were two old aunties that made the mausoleum their own (food, water, backpacks were every where) and they asked if they could take my picture. They took a few, including one in front of the Tomb of Iltumish.

Here's a picture of the actual minar in 'Qutb Minar'. The minaret is huge. I mean, enormous. It's amazing they were able to build it as high as they did back in 1193. I can't tell you how many photos I took of this minaret. I mean, I took shots of it at every angle you could imagine. I'd add all of them if I could, but this one here is probably one of the better shots I took that included the entire minaret with an idea of the sheer scale of it. And before Alai-uddin died, he was going to build a minaret twice as big. You can still see its beginning stage in another part of the complex.

I'll add just one more picture of the Qutb Minar complex. It's another shot of the minaret, but, if I do say so myself, it's one of my favourite shots of it. I took about ten different angles from that spot alone, and I could never get away from it looking crooked.

I took a lot of pictures while I was in that complex. I was there for three hours or so and I ended up taking over 200 pictures. I didn't included it here, but I even have a few shots of the famous mettalurgical mystery known as the Iron Pillar. In fact, when the Iron Pillar was mentioned during an episode of Fringe, I had to take another look at them. That being said, I still say that this is one of my favourite pictures I took in my three hour journey around the enormous complex. I took


So, those are my favourite photos of one of the better experiences I had while I was in Delhi, India. Like I said, with as much crap that happened while I was in the subcontintent, there were definitely a few bright spots. Being able to explore the entire complex without really worrying about time constraints was relaxing for me. It didn't hurt that there weren't very many people there either.

No comments:

Post a Comment