Tuesday, July 27, 2010

SDCC 2010


Unlike most people I read about on Twitter and such, I don't get invited to parties or what have you during San Diego's Comic-Con. This is largely because I'm just one of those regular guys who doesn't know anyone in the media or what have you. Instead, I like to make my own fun. All the pictures I took this year turned out pretty great, so I've included a number of them in this post.

Items of note excluding the panels and exhibit hall themselves included a fantastic Italian
restaurant where they toss your pasta table service IN A PECORINO CHEESE BOWL.

Let that sink in. I watched the waiter put the pasta in the hollowed out cheese wheel, then scraped off a bit of the cheese, then added the basil, then finally the olive oil. And he tossed the mixture around in the bowl. It was nuts. But it was also delicious. I also had a great pinot noir with it too.

I also did the Machete event where I got served a taco from Danny Trejo. This is the same guy I remember from Dusk til Dawn. It was totally bad ass. And I got free beer
too. That Tecate was so much better than Corona. While I went this year with a good friend, next year I'll be going alone and still looking forward to it.

Even if I don't ever get that much sleep (I think 6 hours was the maximum amount I got during the five days I was in San Diego). Even on my own I really don't think I'd be upset because there is always something to do in San Diego.

Hell, I even went to see Patton Oswalt do a set at the House of Blues on Saturday too. Like I said, I make my own fun. And I am always up for other people's fun too. If you want to meet, have a beer or discuss the day's events (even though I admit the size of Hall H scares the heebiejeebies out of me), I am available.

Last year I was with my brother and his family; this included my brother, his wife and their two children. This year I spent my money on a non SDCC-affiliated hotel that used to be the YMCA. It was nothing to write home about, but it was $99 a night, it had a comfortable bed, a closet and a television. That's all I really needed.

Next time, however, I think I'm going to try my luck through SDCC and get a room at the Bristol or Sofia. They looked awfully funky when I walked past them in the morning.

The panels ran from absolutely fantastic to boring and dreadful. I'm not a huge fan of Seth MacFarlane, so most of his panels were dreadfully boring. On the other hand, Big Bang Theory, True Blood and Chuck had fantastic panels. I'll admit to having somehow amassed a number of photos of Deborah Ann Woll and Blair Brown (from Fringe) during their respective panels.

I even managed to hit the exhibit hall on Thursday for a longer period than I did last year. I seemed to figure out that if I did a run-through of the exhibit hall on one day, I wouldn't have to keep coming back to see what I missed.

Coming back to work this morning wasn't that bad even though I don't think I was running at 100% at the time. Anyways, I hope you like the photos, I'm rather happy with my Canon G10.

Really, the last image says it all: NERD.

No comments:

Post a Comment